Thursday, October 20, 2011

Smells Like Teen Spirit


The title of tonight’s episode of The Vampire Diaries has had me doing a lot of thinking. Not just about the episode (which I am VERY excited to see) but also about where the title came from. My guess is that 98% think immediately to the Nirvana song of the same title which is absolutely iconic of course! (If you’ve never heard the Tori Amos cover please seek it out. Also totally epic).


Anyways, the reality is that it’s about deodorant. More specifically, the very first deodorant made just for teens. And if you did not have this in the locker room at my Jr. High you may as well skip gym altogether. (I am totally aging myself aren’t I?) I think they still make this stuff but I want everyone to remember that it was created for a generation of teens who watched Saved By The Bell live on Saturday mornings and then had to travel to Blockbuster Music to stand in line for concert tickets. Perhaps those concert tickets were to see Nirvana live as well.

The senior class of Mystic Falls High really doesn’t have time for Saturday morning TV and if they wanted concert tickets they could purchase them from their phones. So, the question is, what will their anthem be and what will they remember about this time when they are ancient like me?

Here we are now. Entertain us.

No comments:

Post a Comment